Discounts And Cheaper Bus Fares
- Free bus travel for those of pensionable age or with eligible disabilities
- Bus passes for people who cannot drive for medical reasons
- County Ticket scheme for young people
- Season Tickets
- Employer discounts and subsidies
If you are of qualifying pensionable age or are 'eligible disabled', you may be entitled to free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England through the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme.
'Off-peak' is between 9am and 11pm Monday to Friday in Somerset (9.30am til 11pm in the rest of England) and all day at weekends and on public holidays. There is no charge for the bus pass, and you can apply for it through your local district council using this application form [.pdf 298KB].
You are 'eligible disabled' if any of the following applies to you:
- You are blind or partially sighted
- You are profoundly or severely deaf
- You are without speech
- You have a disability which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
- You do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
- You have a learning disability
- You are prohibited from holding a driving license due to a physical condition, other than misuse of drugs or alcohol.
The County Ticket and County Ticket Plus are discounted bus passes for students provided by Somerset County Council.
Both passes are valid for unlimited travel on Public Service Bus routes throughout Somerset and routes crossing into or out of Wiltshire, Dorset and Devon (subject to some operator restrictions). In addition, the County Ticket Plus is also valid on services crossing into or out of North Somerset and Bath & North East Somerset.
All journeys must either start or finish within Somerset.
To be able to get a County Ticket or a County Ticket Plus, you must be:
- Attending school, college or a 16+ College of Further Education and
- The course you are attending must be funded by the Young People's Learning Agency. The school, college or 16+ College of Further Education will be able to confirm this.
- Or, you must be attending a 16+ College of Further Education as part of a Work Based Learning Course.
For 2011/12 the price of the County Ticket is £535 and the price for the County Ticket PLUS is £645.00.
For more information, and to apply, go to the Somerset County Council website.
Season tickets are provided by many bus operators allowing unlimited bus travel over a set number of days. For example, First Bus do weekly, monthly, 3-monthly and annual tickets covering Somerset and Dorset. If you travel regularly by bus (e.g. daily work journeys), these can give a significant saving over individual journey tickets.
Weekly tickets can be bought from the bus driver, but longer season tickets must be purchased from the First ticket shops at Bridgwater and Taunton bus stations.
Check with your local bus operator to find out about their fare options.
A number of employers across Somerset offer discounted season tickets or interest-free loans to staff for bus travel to work. Some employers subsidise the cost of bus tickets from their own pockets, while others have negotiated a discount from the bus operators themselves. Interest-free loans for season tickets can also help staff spread the cost of payment over a year or 6 months.